5 of the Most Beautiful Experiences in Africa
With its breathtaking landscapes and abundant wildlife, Africa is certainly a wonder of the world rich with opportunity for bold, unparalleled life experiences. It's also the world's second-largest continent, and perhaps one of the most inspiring locations to visit. Of course, with 54 recognized countries that are each distinct and beautiful, Africa is hardly lacking in terms of activities and experiences for travelers. Here are five of the most amazing experiences in Africa:
1. Riding Safari, Kenya: Arguably, the best way to experience Kenya's zebras is from atop a horse! The Zebras can be found in the Masai Mara, and some lucky travelers can gallop alongside them during a week-long excursion across 100 kilometers of land. This unique safari vacation does come at a price – upwards of $6,000 per rider. What would you do for the experience of a lifetime?
2. Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania: The mountain's peak reaches 5,895 meters and is considered to be Africa's highest. On the bucket list for many, Tanzania's visitors often consider Kilimanjaro to be quite an exciting challenge. Little compares to the satisfaction of climbing a peak so high!
3. Sossusvlei Dunes, Namibia: Ironically, Sossusvlei means "the gathering place of water." The irony here is that the Sossusvlei Dunes, Namibia's most stunning attraction, certainly do not represent a gathering place of water! Instead, these brilliantly orange dunes span for miles across the Namib Desert. Visit Sossusvlei near sunrise or sunset for a show of vibrant colors and natural beauty.
4. Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique: The Azura Retreats lodge on Benguerra Island is an award-winning boutique hotel located on a remote desert island within the parameters of a Marine National park. Visitors can enjoy the sensational views of the Bazaruto Archipelago from the 10-minute helicopter ride to their destination, and, once settled at the hotel, they can also enjoy catching glimpses of whales, dolphins, and dugongs.
5. Lower Zambezi, Zambia: Water sport aficionados might enjoy a canoeing safari along the Lower Zambezi in Zambia, which offers close-up and personal encounters with hippos, elephants, and other animals as they drink from the river. Various camps and lodges along the riverbank also offer excellent fishing opportunities for travelers as well.
These five are just a few of many. Follow your sense of wanderlust – and your camera – to Africa's corner of the world and you will experience nature and culture in a way you never thought was possible.